Summer Undergraduate Research Internship
The Summer Undergraduate Research Internship (SURI) brings together innovative undergraduate minds from across the country to The University of Texas at Austin Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering (UT PGE) Department to research hot energy topics with world-class faculty members. Interns receive an insider look at graduate level work conducted at UT PGE, home to the #1 petroleum engineering graduate program in the country, according to US News & World Report. In addition to participating in meaningful academic research, interns learn about the diverse areas of petroleum and geosystems engineering and build strong relationships with their cohort.
2013 SURI participant, Joe Gauthier, conducting research in the lab
UPDATE: Congratulations to the talented 2014 SURI Program participants:
- Bryan Brasile - The Ohio State University
- Xi Chen- Carnegie Mellon University
- Nicholas Griffith - Trinity University
- Christopher Hapchuk - Carnegie Mellon University
- Joseph Moon - The University of Texas at Austin
- Olivia Pina - The Ohio State University
- Lauren Pugh - The Ohio State University
- Mackenzie Scharenberg - The Ohio State University
- Sneha Seetharama - Louisiana State University
- Siddharth Senthilnathan - Yale University
- Raymond Turner II - University of Texas at El Paso
- Benjamin Weems - Stanford University
SURI is a rewarding 10-week program, offering a $4,000 stipend. In addition, UT PGE provides funding to travel to Austin, housing in an on-campus residence hall that includes a stipend for meals. All applicants to SURI must:
- Have a 3.25+ GPA
- Have completed at least 45 hours of credit at your current institution and are not a graduating senior
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Fully commit to the 10-week program
- Be majoring in any engineering discipline, geosciences, math, or natural sciences
The SURI program is intended for students who have a strong desire to pursue a PhD in petroleum engineering.
Steps To Apply:
Step #1 – You must complete the online application. We recommend clicking on the link below and taking a look at the application before you submit it. You will be asked to submit several essays and a resume. Please have your answers ready to go before you fill out the application. You will not be able to go back and edit/change responses. We will not consider multiple applications.
Step #2 – You must ask one person to submit the online recommendation form in order to complete your application. If you have ever performed undergraduate research, the recommendation must come from your supervisor. If we do not receive the recommendation form by the deadline, your application will be incomplete and you will not be considered for the program.
Once you have received an offer to participate in the program, you will be required to submit your official college transcript to the UT PGE department within two weeks to confirm your participation.
State-of-the-Art Energy Labs
See how Dr. Eric van Oort is reinventing drilling labs through automation.
SURI student stories
Read about previous SURI participants' experiences conducting research at UT PGE and discovering Austin
Thank you to all our sponsors who make the SURI program possible:
*S.P. Yates Memorial Endowment for Student Projects in Petroleum Engineering
*the Bob and Betty Agnew Endowed Excellence Fund in Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering
*the George H. Sawyer Memorial Endowed Excellence Fund in Petroleum Engineering
*the Aaron Cawley Endowed Excellence Fund in Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering
*the Stephens Family Endowed Excellence Fund in Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering
*Friends of Alec Various Donors